Wednesday, February 23

Worth the Wait

I mean the ring, not this post. My apologies for not posting this sooner but most of you saw the ring on Facebook, but here's the story to go along with it:

I started searching for jewelry designers in Boulder because I knew I was going to want something different than a white diamond for a ring, as my last post indicates. I thought I was going to want an opal because it's my birthstone, but I quickly found out that they are not recommended for every day wear because they are so fragile. They chip easily and with my lifestyle, I knew I'd be heart broken if my ring bit the dust the first time I was in a scuffle along the hockey boards, so I started searching for something else. I thought, why not the opposite of white and get black?

But black diamonds are tough to find in anything of decent size because most people use them as accents in a piece, not as the star of the show. I walked into a number of jewelers and they didn't have anything at all I liked in the way of stones. I drove to one place and took one glance at all the diamond-adorned fetishes and heart-shaped diamonds in the front window and turned right back around. Why is it so hard to find something more arty and unique? Then my hair dresser told me about Todd Reed.

I walked in and instantly knew it was for me. He specializes in using raw diamonds, which are just as beautiful as the polished. Once I saw the black diamonds, I didn't like them, because they were opaque and looked kind of plastic-y. But I did like the smokey gray and brown ones so I picked a chocolate-colored, pear-shaped diamond that is vintage. The designer says they can tell by the way the diamond is cut that it's from the 1600's - back before they knew how to cut them for optimum brilliance, they cut them for optimum diamond weight instead. Who knew all this about diamonds?

So in the end, I did get a diamond but a very cool one. It's set in palladium and outlined with small white diamonds so that it does look more like an engagement ring than just a cool ring. The band has 1/2 raw diamonds on it and 1/2 of a "autumn mix" the designer calls it with yellow, brown and orange diamonds, with a couple of white ones thrown in to accent the big mama.

They said it would take 6-8 weeks to make but SV surprised me by getting them to make it in 3 weeks so I had it went I went out to see my sister for her birthday bash. Here it is, although the picture doesn't do it justice.

You'll just have to see it in person one of these days.

7 comments:

Flannery Alden said...

I have two words for you: Gor. Geous.

Coaster Punchman said...

Wow, that is a stunner! I have to admit it's easier being a guy. When PG and I decided to make it legal (in 9 states anyway) I just told him "get our rings. I want something plain silver, white gold or platinum, no stones." I was thinking he'd get me what I wanted and then choose whatever he wanted for himself. Little did I know he wanted us to have matching rings, so he cowtowed to my plain Jane approach and bought himself a plain white gold ring, after BEGGING me to have a small stone or something (I refused.)

Oh wait, this is about you. Well congratulations!

SkylersDad said...

Fantastic Kristi!

GETkristiLOVE said...

LOL at CP - wait until you see what my fiance has picked out, but that's for a later story.

dguzman said...

Beautiful! I'm happy for you guys -- enjoy it!

kirby said...

Very nice.

Johnny Yen said...

That's awesome!

I think you'd just started dating SV around the time I started reading your blog, about five years ago. So happy that he's turned out to be the love of your life!